Friday, March 12, 2021

Reading Report 1: The Couple Next Door

Title of the book: The Couple Next Door

Author: Shari Lapena

Genre: Thriller

   Shari Lapena was born in 1960. She is a Canadian writer, author of bestselling thrillers such as The Couple Next Door, A stranger in the House, An Unwanted Guest, among others. Lapena used to work as a lawyer and English teacher before becoming a full-time writer. She published her first novel, Things Go Flying, in 2007, but it wasn’t until 2016 with her first thriller, A Couple Next Door, that her writing career really took off.

   The reason why I chose this book is because I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. Usually I like to read romantic novels and last semester I read a non-fiction novel with zero romance which I really enjoyed, so this time I was determined to read a totally different genre.

   Looking for recommendations of what I could read on Youtube, I noticed that The Couple Next Door was mentioned in a lot of videos described as a page-turner, many people said that they read it in one sitting and, considering that it is not a short book, that really grabbed my attention. 

   This is my first time reading suspense, that's why I wanted to start with something I’m sure I'll enjoy. One of my concerns with this genre was that the story would have a slow start, but this book gets interesting since chapter number one.

   The novel is set in upstate New York. It follows the story of a couple who left their baby asleep in their house to go to a dinner party next door, but when they came back home the baby was no longer there. It is a contemporary book.

285 words

Claudia Leticia Mendez Caamal

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia,
    This is a great first reading report! I'm glad you are exploring different genres and getting out of your comfort zone. I'm sure you will enjoy this one. Your mark is=100.
    Cheers,
    TB

    ReplyDelete

Report 4: KonoSuba: God’s Blessings on this Wonderful World!

  As the fourth part of this review, Konosuba’s major events are really punctual and can be listed in four particular junctions of the story...