I have finished reading the book this Saturday, and I feel the need to write this final report since the end of the story has impacted me quite a lot. As I have mentioned in previous reports, the main purpose of George and Lennie, along the story, was to have their own farm and not need to work for someone else, then, in the middle of the book, Candy joins them. However, the story begins to turn sadder and sadder…
The end of the story is still shocking to me because as I have written before, I felt pretty identified with Lennie. Besides, somehow I started to admire George by making a comparison of him to my own friends. I just loved the way these two mates were always together, the way George would help Lennie to cope with difficult situations, and how he used to defend him from others.
When I started reading chapter five, I still had the hope that George would defend Lennie as he always did. But that never happened, and in fact, it was even worse. I do not know if I did not notice it, but I do not perceive George’s feelings at the end of the story, the author just mentions that he had a monotonous voice, but I really wonder what was going on in his mind, because to me, what he did seems to be quite well planned.
Regardless of how I feel about the end of the story, I think it is a great book for adolescents and young adults. However, now I understand and agree with the fact that parents in the United States are not really comfortable with the Elementary Schools asking their kids to read this novel as part of the American literature. If I were a teacher, I would only recommend this book for high school students and older.
313 words
Patty,
ReplyDeleteThis is an excellent third report and review. I am sorry about the impact you got from the last events. I also understand what you said about not recommending it for young readers. I would consider it a book for adults.
Your mark is=100. Congrats!
TB